Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The Tooth Incident

This morning, before our day barely got started, that perfect face above was imperfected. He was climbing into the car, slipped and hit his mouth. To make matters worse, he had a toy (bubble blower) in his mouth and when he fell, it pushed his front right tooth back. It was painful, and he cried, but worse than that, he was scared and nervous. I'm not sure if I've ever explained "the way Hudson is"......he's a worrier, he has high anxiety, he thinks about everything, questions everything, and does NOT get over things! Sure his tooth hurt, but that was secondary to what was going to happen next. He knew his tooth had moved, he could feel it with his tongue. Immediately he wanted me to take him somewhere, anywhere, to get that tooth fixed. He needed to know if it was going to fall out, if he would be able to bite or eat, if it looked okay, and was somewhat shocked when I said I was still going to work. I called the dentist at 8 o'clock on the dot and they said they'd like to see him for x-rays. Those showed that his tooth is "fine", just moved to the right and back a little bit. When Hudson would bite down, the front tooth went behind the bottom tooth. The dentist moved it back into place as much as he could, but it still fits behind a bit. Hudson was SO BRAVE! Again, because of his anxiety, he would've gone through immense pain to get that tooth fixed. His hands clenched the chair, his feet flew up in the air, but when the dentist asked if he was okay, he quickly replied, "yea, just keep fixing it". If there are no further problems, the tooth should be fine. However, if there continues to be pain, if the bite bothers him, or if his gums get red, then they'll have to pull the tooth. Something Hudson does NOT want! The dentist also mentioned the possibility that the tooth could get dark in color (from bruising), something else Hudson does NOT want! All night I've been fielding questions from my 4 year old boy plagued with anxiety. "Will my tooth fall out? Will it turn blue and black? What if I can never eat again? Will it come out when I'm sleeping? What do you mean all my tooth fall out eventually?" (we haven't really explained the whole tooth fairy concept to him yet) But the worst question, "Do you care that I have a loose tooth?" as in, "Do you still love me with a loose tooth?" This kid breaks my heart with the way his mind works. Another example, while we were driving today, for some reason he starts thinking about car accidents, and if we got into a car accident, would the airbags pop out, and would that hurt, and how would they go back in, would we have to get a new car, is there airbags in back, does Harlow need an airbag? Things a 4 year old should not be thinking about, especially because he's never been in a car accident, and shouldn't even know what airbags are! I asked him how he knows so much and he said, "Because I learn from me and I'm smart". Anyway....I was so proud of his bravery at the dentist (because I even had to hold back tears), that I told him he could pick a toy out at the store....so here he is, all masked up....
We love you Hudsy!!! Straight tooth, crooked tooth, white tooth, black tooth, or no tooth!!!

(P.S. And more than one person mentioned today that bad things happen in three's- 1 being Paxton's broken leg, 2 being Hudson's tooth, and 3......I'm going to go ahead and count Harlow's minor cold. So we're good universe, no need to cause any #3 bad thing for this family!)

No comments:

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS