Thursday, March 26, 2015

Kindergarten Take 2

Last week, Hudson and I took Paxton to his Kindergarten Open House. Hudson had wanted to go with so badly, but I told him he needed to ask Paxton first because this was HIS day. I should have known Pax would want his big brother with, he didn't even question it. And looking back, I am so glad he did come with. Paxton was nervous and shy, stuck pretty close to me, always answered the teacher's questions, but did so with short, quiet answers. But Hudson got a hold of him and was so excited to show off his school, that his excitement caught on and Paxton perked right up and ran through the hallways with him. And Hudson made sure we visited every single kindergarten classroom, the gym, library, art room, cafeteria, SMART room, computer room and took a bus ride!

I'm ready for Paxton to start Kindergarten....I think. When filling out the "parent input" form, asking for certain characteristics of your child that might match well with certain teachers, I wrote that Paxton is nervous and shy, easily intimidated, likes physical activity, and that he hasn't showed much interest in academics and can be easily distracted. All very true statements. I'm hoping for a kind, patient, not very strict teacher, and would be thrilled with Mrs. Maudal (Hudson's teacher) again!





Of course everyday since the open house, Paxton has asked when he starts kindergarten. How many more days of daycare he has left, how many more days of preschool he has left, and he teeter totters on whether or not he wants to go to kindergarten. I think he likes the idea of it, trying something new, but he knows himself well enough to know that school, sitting quietly and learning, just isn't really his thing. But he'll make friends, and it'll take him months to remember their names. I will ask him what he did in school everyday, and he'll rarely remember and be able to tell me anything. He will hurry through work but still learn a lot. And he might even get in trouble sometimes, most likely from not listening or being a little too wild during down time. It will be a much different experience than having Hudson in school. Paxton is a much different kid. And I love him, and he's ready.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Your boys are so very handsome and sweet together. I wish Paxton luck in kindergarten! I can't quite imagine my second going to school, either - so very different from his big bro. ;) But who knows, they may surprise us!

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS