Friday, September 5, 2014

First Day of Kindergarten

The 2014-2015 school year brought on Kindergarten for Hudson! Kindergarten, real school, five days a week, this is big time! He was excited, and ready! I cannot say enough how glad I am that we waited the extra year (with a summer birthday). It was such a difficult decision and I'm thrilled we ended where we did and he's entering school with another year under his belt. He's much less nervous, with little anxiety and just plain happy to go. The night before he spread the magic "Ready Confetti" from Mrs. Maudal under his pillow for a good nights sleep. He woke up refreshed, didn't complain about wearing "hard" pants (meaning anything other than athletics shorts), got dressed, brushed his teeth, let me do his hair, and had some breakfast. He didn't care for posing for these pictures, but he kindly obliged with a fake smile. 



A little hand in pocket posing, completely done on his own! So adorable.

The school-aged boys, Paxton ready for pre-k and Hudson for the big K! Harlow not to be seen because she's pissed (pardon my language, but she's serious!!!) that she still has to go to daycare while her brothers go to school. It's a battle every morning, and even though I keep telling her to let it go, it doesn't seem she will be any time soon. When I make the right hand turn onto daycare's street, she yells at me that she does NOT want to turn that way. Poor girl. 

And boy we were on the ball for our first day. Everyone was up and ready in plenty of time. I even enjoyed a cup of coffee while we watched morning cartoons. With three different drop offs, I was sure to give myself ample time and it all went smoothly.

Hudson is a hand holder. No matter what, no matter where we're walking or if he's excited, scared, nervous, or bored, he grabs for the hand of whoever is walking with him. And I love it. And look at that sweet face. I have to leave that sweet face in the care of his teacher for 7 hours a day. I have to hope and pray that he's safe, happy, taken care of, and treated well, not only by teachers and other professionals, but by kids too. I truly believe that he will cause us no problems this year, at least with his behavior. He is kind, mature, conscious of others, thinks about his actions before reacting, and just plain loveable. The only thing holding him back would be his nerves around big groups and kids his age. He's always been better at either leading younger kids, or following older. He needs to find his niche with his own peers, come out of his shell a little more. I hope that happens for him this year. Break out buddy, and show them how awesome you are! 

We could not be any happier with his teacher, Mrs. Maudal. She is the perfect match for Hudson. I've already gotten several emails from her, one just simply saying, "He is perfect, what a honey he is." My heart literally burst out of my chest with pride!!! 
There were no tears when I left him. He was brave. I could tell he was nervous, but he didn't let it hold him back. He did his morning jobs and found an activity to keep him busy until the bell rang and his day began. Leaving my kids somewhere is literally the hardest thing I do. I want to stay with them sooooo bad. I hate missing things. I want to be a fly on the wall. I might be what they call a "helicopter mom", always hovering around, but I can't help it! I'm sure that I'll ease up with time (I hope!). But he didn't need me. He kissed and hugged me good bye and didn't look back. I made it all the way out to my car without tears but when I let it out. Emotions of pride and anxiety mixed with already missing him. Thankfully on that dreadful first day, I got to go back at lunch time and see him! I was asked to volunteer during the lunch hour every Thursday and I was more than happy to do it! He assured me then that his first day was going great, no complaints. I cried leaving him again, obviously. 
When I picked him up at the end of the day, he knew he was good. He knew I'd be proud, and he knew he could manipulate his pushover mom into taking him to Target to buy him something for such a successful first day of kindergarten. And after that, he worked more of his manipulating magic to go to McDonald's for an apple pie. This kid is good. And it was all well deserved. 

(Day 2 update: After our hug and kiss goodbye, I already got the should shrug off and a "yea, yea Mom you can go now". Not quite sure how I feel about that yet.) 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, your kids are so adorable and you dress them cutely (if that's a word?)!! I just love the way your describe their unique personalities and the way you deal with each. You are a wonderful Mommy. I especially love the "Harlow is pissed" ... after reading your blog for a while now, I can just picture her! LOL :)

Roz said...

Great job!! It's so hard, isn't it??! Loved the part about Harlow being mad that her siblings get to start something new and she doesn't. Her and Olivia should start as support group for Little Sis Anonymous.

I opened my blog back up to "public" status. Too much of a pain to have others sign in.

Happy new school year!
Monica crashed in a whirl of emotions last night at about 6pm. She couldn't hold it together anymore and was exhausted after a 4-day week of K.

Take care!
Roz

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS