Wednesday, August 28, 2013

preschool- year 3

Hudson started his third year of preschool this week. With a summer birthday, we decided an extra year before the big bad world of Kindergarten wouldn't hurt. I do think he would've been ready, but in my heart of hearts, I just felt waiting was the right decision. And it was a hard decision, one Jamie and I didn't always agree on. But I heard from several parents and teachers, that you probably won't ever regret waiting, but you might regret sending him too early. He's smaller in size, and definitely still has some anxiety issues that another year of preschool could help with. Maturity-wise, this kid has been acting like an adult since he was 2 years old, and he's also very intelligent and loves to learn. So I go back and forth, but in the end, I think we'll be happy with this decision. After I begged and begged, he finally gave in and allowed me to take him to his first day. Sad as it is to admit, he really wanted Grandma to take him. No surprise. But I finally convinced him that Grandma would be taking him and picking him up all throughout the school year, and this was my chance to take him. With a slight eye roll, he said "Fine, then just take me." Gee thanks buddy! Even though it was forced, we still enjoyed a little extra one-on-one time together. We went on a lunch date beforehand, his pick Taco Johns.
His last 1st day of preschool. Three years I've done this now, and it's definitely not as hard, but still not easy. If I let myself, I could have wept at the door, watching him walk in, cautiously slow as he took in his surroundings and decided who to talk to. I stopped at the office on my way out, and just couldn't help myself to sneak back and take one quick look in again. He was fine, sitting on the floor playing with a friend, but I still felt that ache in my heart. I really need to work on letting go, this mama is WEAK! Heaven help me when my second baby starts in a couple weeks.

After school, I went through the typical daily questions- how was it, do you like your teacher, did you make friends, what are their names, what did you do, did you learn anything?? And I got simple yes/no answers and seriously, another eye roll! My mom says I deserve it because that's exactly how I was when I was younger and she'd ask about my day. But man alive, it's like pulling teeth getting anything out of him. He did tell me that he made something, but he already gave it to Grandma so I won't see it. Once again, gee thanks! 

1 comment:

Erin said...

My gosh you're just so cute. As are your kids!

I've often thought the same about myself, that I am just WEAK and how will my heart handle all that is to come?! I want to cry thinking about my baby starting real school in a year.

I also get the same thing when I ask Henry questions about his day at daycare. He just brushes me off with one-word answers. I know I have to accept it and let him come to me with stories about his day (which he often will later), but I know it'll always bug me to know so little about how he filled his whole day when we were apart!

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS