Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Pac's 1st Day of Preschool

Paxton Hunter went to his very first day of preschool on Monday (he missed the first two weeks when we were in Florida). He has been anticipating this day for awhile now, knowing he's going to Hudsy's school, that his teacher is Ms. Schugel the same as his brother's, that he gets to bring the backpack he picked out, and wear his super cool new school shoes. I was a little anxious about the day because he had been asking (over and over) if I would stay with him at school, but he understood that I'd be dropping him off and coming back to pick him up when it was over. A few weeks prior, I could tell he was nervous. He gets shy and uncomfortable in new situations and that was exactly how I thought he'd be. But the night before school started he proclaimed, "I won't be afraid." AND HE WASN'T!!! He was excited, could not wait! He knew I'd be picking him up from daycare after he ate lunch, but even so, his daycare sheet said, "Paxton asked me several times if it was time for his mommy to come and get him from school. His mind was occupied by school and he couldn't even pay attention long enough to play toys. And I've never seen him eat his lunch so fast." And when I got there to get him, HE WAS READY, in every aspect of the word. Shoes and backpack on, and smiling from ear to ear, waving bye to his friends letting them know he was going to school but he'd be back again.

And he walked into that school proudly. Like he belonged there. Leaving me in his dust.
I asked him to wait so I could take a couple pictures and he kindly obliged. Such a little boy next to that big school full of education, new experiences and opportunities, and new friends!
It takes my breath away a bit, that my middle is going to school.
But look at him, my sweet sweet boy. He was so ready for this, to do something on his own, for the spotlight to be on him. He was so proud. He hung his backpack in his locker, I reminded him again that I'd be back to pick him up when school was over, and he started walking away from me saying, "Okay, I'll just play with my new friends then." And he was gone. No kiss, no tears, no questions, just freedom. Complete opposite of his big brother's first day of 3 year old preschool (I had to rip myself out of his arms as he cried for me to stay with him). I walked out of that classroom with proud tears streaming down my face. It is a conflicting feeling, to be so proud of your baby and at the same time have so much fear for him, of all the terrible things that could happen to him. But he's growing up, he's independent, and he's loving it.
When I picked him up and asked him a million questions about his day, he didn't get mad at me like Hudson often does, but he couldn't answer a single thing..."Did you go to gym?"- I don't know. "Did you have snack?" I don't know. "What are your friends' names?"- I don't know. "Did you tell your teacher you were Hudson's brother?" -Yea. No. Well, I think so. "What is this picture you made?" -I don't know. "Do you want to go back to school again?" -YES!!!!!!!! Alright, good enough. 

No comments:

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS