Friday, April 25, 2014

kindergarten open house

The time has come, Kindergarten is right around the corner for Hudson. This time last year I was a mess, debating the decision to send him to Kindergarten as a young 5 year old (with a June birthday) or wait another year. If you had asked me one day to the next, I would've given you a different answer, never sure of where my heart was, but now.......I am SO sure we made the right choice in waiting. I have no doubt that my almost 6 year old is ready now. Even as we walked through the school, and he rarely let go of my hand, I knew he was excited, proud, and eager to learn all about that big school. He wanted to see every single Kindergarten classroom and took the time in each room to talk to the teacher and try out the projects they had on the table.


Some of the teachers use different types of chairs for core strength, balance, and a way to wiggle out that extra energy kids tend to have. Hudson tested out each one, choosing the "T" chair as his favorite. The teacher asked him to pretend to write his name on her hand while he balanced on the chair. In typical Hudson form, he needed that tongue out for concentration. (A trait each of our kids have!)
Hudson has mastered the iPad, Kindle, and our cell phones, but a computer with a mouse is something we've never done at home. It took him less than a second to figure out how to maneuver that thing around, click and drag so that arrow moves where he wants it to.

He was very excited to board the bus for a quick ride, picking the very back seat. Jamie and I quietly mumbled to each other about how much both of us despised riding the bus. We're still not quite sure how transportation will work next year with our biggest kid in school, but I do know that that big yellow bus full of rowdy kids scares the bejesus out of me! 
I noticed many of Hudson's nervous tendencies while we were there; holding my hand, playing with his fingers, and blinking as he talked, but I also noticed his pride and anticipation of what Kindergarten means, and meeting new friends at a new school with a new teacher, and doing all of that as the oldest of two other siblings. There is no doubt that I will be a wailing mess of tears on his first day come September, and I will have a million fears, but I won't doubt for a second that he will succeed, and grow, and make us proud.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I never understood the fear and sadness that came with a child starting school - til I had kids of my own!! Henry will start 4k this fall (as an almost-five-year-old, so he'll be older, too) and even ride the bus! (it's a short 2-min drive, but still) It makes me so nervous and kind of sad! But very excited, too!

Your little guy is really adorable. It looks like he will love school! Good luck!!

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS